The Society of the Sacred Heart, United States – Canada Province oversees four "welcoming communities" within the United States that offer a variety of ministries, retreat programs, and year-long programming for young adults.
Outreach to women and young adults in Berkeley, California
Sophia House is a welcoming community located in Berkeley, California. The mission of Sophia House is to reach out to women and young adults in the greater San Francisco Bay area. Currently, five Religious of the Sacred Heart (RSCJ) live in the community. The community at Sophia House places an emphasis on simplicity of life, care for the environment, contemplation and community life. RSCJ regularly welcome people to Sophia House, as individuals and groups, for prayer, meals, discussion, and celebrations. Each RSCJ community member carries out her own ministry, but each has also committed herself to the shared ministry of the House.
For more information on visiting Sophia House, contact Mary Jo McFayden, RSCJ.
Typical community activities at Anne Montgomery House include:
- two liturgies, one at the start of the year and one near the end
- community morning prayer and reflection Monday through Friday
- three evenings of Taizé prayer a year
- workshops on topics such as discernment and centering prayer
- gatherings of young adults for sharing over a meal
- neighborhood engagement
- composting and recycling
- partnering with groups such as the Dorothy Day Catholic Worker, Living Wages, the Franciscan Action Network, Little Friends for Peace, and the Associates of the Society of the Sacred Heart
All members of the Anne Montgomery community help prepare meals, lead prayer and help with household chores. When we are not hosting events in the house, we maintain a moderately quiet atmosphere conducive to prayer and study.
Interested in living in community with RSCJ?
The application process for Anne Montgomery House begins each March and consists of a written application which, if approved, is followed by an interview (either in person or by video call). The cost for participation varies, but can range from $510/month for a shared room to $700/month for a private room. The monthly fee included program costs, utilities, food, internet and housing.
To inquire or for questions, please contact Diane Roche, RSCJ.